Tuesday, October 14, 2008

School progress

A representative from the University of Toronto came to our school today to try to convince us to spend up to twenty grand a year at their prestigious haven for scholarly thought. I wasn't convinced, to say the least. The presentation was made more painful by the fact that the rep spoke with an upward inflection at the end of each phrase. Note to rep: not everything needs to be stated as a question.

Oh, and I think I want to go to Queens. It's stunning and has an excellent reputation. Let's see how long THIS lasts for!

Wisdom Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.

I read this quote today. I don't remember who said it, but I really find it to be appropriate. I don't think that any of us ever don't know what we should or want to do. Asking for advice is merely a way of battling out our contrasting views until we come to the conclusion that we want without having to go throw the inner turmoil that comes with thinking it out in our heads. Because it hurts. A lot. I know this from experience. I've actually had head aches from thinking thing through too much. That's why I've tried to do it less often. I'm not the most zen person you'll ever meet, but I've been trying to just go with the flow and follow my heart, as cheesy and ridiculous as that may sound.

But still, I ask for advice anyways! Oh, how I wish that I could stop! After reading this quote, I can't even justify doing it.

Take a dip hipsters!

Is it just me, or have the hipsters completely taken over the world? Now I can't leave the house without seeing waifish guys and gals in colourful American Apparel garb, "witty" T-shirts, ironically hideous cardigans/grandpa sweaters, and unhealthily skinny jeans. Or worse: afghans! For those of you who don't know, afghans have a political meaning! They are more than just a cool piece of cloth to wear with your Deep-Vs! So stop!
I don't know what it is that totally bugs me about hipsters, or indie snobs, as my friends and I like to call them. I think it's the fact that they, in general, seem to think that they're so creative and innovative, and going against the grain when. From simple observation, it should be clear to all of them that this is not the case at all! In their attempts to appear as non-conformists and unique individuals, they're become conformists themselves. And they refuse to admit this!

But some people liken hipster style the hippies, the beatniks, or the flappers before them. This could not be farther from the truth! Those actually meant something! The hippies were making a statement against the war and the pro-military sentiments of the 1960s. The beatniks were rebelling against the materialism that took over society in the 1950s. The flappers were lashing out against pre-WWI ideals. What are the hipsters doing? Nothing! They merely appropriate the styles and influences of these movements and other similar ones to create their own brand of meaningless consumerism! (*cough*Urban Outfitters*cough*)

I know, you must be thinking that I'm a pretentious 'hater'. Let me get this straight:
I DON'T HATE HIPSTERS

I happen to know some very nice ones. I'm not saying that they should change their style. If anything, I think that they should keep it (hipster boys look so delicious!). I only think that, to preserve an ounce of integrity, they should own up to the fact that no, they aren't being creative or witty or unique with their sense of style and yes.

Oh, and be careful when you leave the house! Vice Magazine might be watching...

BY THE WAY: Check out 'L.E.S Artistes' by Santogold. The ultimate in hipster diss tracks. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeZzW54a2o (Ironically, hipsters seem to love Ms. Santi White)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean.