Saturday, October 18, 2008

Like a boy

On November 13th H&M will begin to sell their limited edition collection designed by Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons. I'm stoked. I never would have guessed in a million years that I would be able to own a part of the CDG dream before I had a full-time job but, like an angel working on God's benevolant behalf, H&M has granted my wish. The collection is dark, unique, and intriquitely tailored. Yes, some of it looks a little cheap and sloppy to me ( a lot of it tries to go for that deconstructed, baggy look), but the majority of what I've seen looks great. If the line's release is anything like the release of their collection by Roberto Cavalli, we'll all need to line up nice and early with our Nike Shox and elbow pads if we want to leave the store in one piece and, more importantly, get a piece of the magic. For Ontarians: the collection will only be available at the Yorkville and Eaton Centre locations.





So live your life

Every now and then you learn something new about yourself. Wait, that's not right. Let me try again.

Every now and then you're forced to acknowledge something about yourself that you either never noticed or never wanted to acknowledge before. When you finally do, accept whatever it is that you've found out, and get back to living your life.

It's hip to be square

Last night I watched a CNN special on the "fall of the fat cats" that we're observing during this financial crisis. To be honest, I don't feel any intense pity for any of the people on Wall Street, the people who decided to trust them with their money, or the people who are suffering because they chose to purchase items on credit that they could not afford. Firstly, money earned through investments is not hard-earned money. When you decide to play with fire, you need to be able to accept the potential burns. You can't be upset because you played the game and didn't win. That's part of the gamble. Secondly, it's about time that our society gets our heads around the fact that sometimes it's better to do without than to use imaginary money to pay for things. This is what we call learning a lesson the hard way. So shame on all of us! Shame! Shame! Shame!

Then we played Scrabble and it was decadent.

First day of work

Today was my first day at the Gap. I went in trying to look very Gap-ish and I think it worked. Basically, I wore what I always wear but without the crazy Chucks, which I now know are actually permitted! I think that I'll enjoy working here. At the beginning of orientation they showed us this awesome video montage of the Gap in previous decades. It made me pumped. It was great. The discount in wonderful.

Hunting for flying lizards

I went to the local HMV to try to order the Flying Lizards' eponymous album, only to be told that the CD had been permanently discontinued. Is that even allowed? I couldn't believe my ears! I was able to order their second CD, but this came as such a demoralizing blow. This means that I'll need to search through obscure record stores for my fix, which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing. I can't even download the CD on Limewire because nobody has the songs! I guess I'll need to look extra hard in New York. I hear that they have a few record stores there.

On a brighter note, I picked up Uh Huh Her's Common Reaction and Shad's The Old Prince. These should keep me warm for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean.